CA could be close to decision on 'baby' Jeep - Fiat 500x Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

CA could be close to decision on 'baby' Jeep

Jeep is looking "very closely" at a possible vehicle smaller than its Renegade subcompact SUV, the brand's boss Mike Manley said.

The "baby" Jeep would be targeted at customers in Europe and other global markets where small vehicles sell well but not the U.S., Manley told reporters at the Detroit auto show this month.

This baby Jeep would shorter than 4000mm and could be produced in Jeep’s owner Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' factory in Pomigliano near Naples in Italy, according to a report in La Stampa, a newspaper partly owned by Exor, FCA's majority shareholder. FCA currently builds the Fiat Panda minicar in Pomigliano.

Supplier sources told Automotive News Europe that FCA has been discussing the possible production of a baby Jeep in Pomigliano since early 2017. Since then, this project suffered many stops and starts, the suppliers told ANE.

If built, the small Jeep would be based on FCA’s Mini platform, which underpins the Fiat Panda and 500 minicars, as well as the Lancia Ypsilon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR-180129888.jpg (60.6 KB, 7 views)
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:02 AM

I guess there isn't many SUV's in that class of vehicle so if there is a market it should do well. I can only really think of the Jimny or maybe Ignis but the Jimny is being fully replaced by a brand new model I think late 2018? Which may well be bigger than the outgoing car and leave a gap in the market...

I presume it will use the Panda 4x4 chassis and running gear but look more SUV like? Be interesting to see how this develops.

Hewesy

Hewesy

2015 500X Pop Star, 1.4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page