Fiat 500x Forums banner

Starting problem

17K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  MaurizioA 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I got problem with 2015 fiat 500x cross, I can't make it start couple times a week, but other days with no issue. It seems like weak battery, but after 5min trying it starts fine. Here is a video I made https://youtu.be/dTGwThmIBzY dash is full of errors when it's happening. I booked a test for battery at halfords and mechanic told me it all good, so i don't know what's happening. Please help!

#2 ·
Hi, I got problem with 2015 fiat 500x cross, I can't make it start couple times a week, but other days with no issue. It seems like weak battery, but after 5min trying it starts fine. Here is a video I made https://youtu.be/dTGwThmIBzY dash is full of errors when it's happening. I booked a test for battery at halfords and mechanic told me it all good, so i don't know what's happening. Please help!
I have had same or similar problem twice. Once on holiday in France and once at home on driveway. The first occasion in France it cleared itself eventually (after many hours), took it to dealer on return to UK no faults stored on ECU so no clues.

Second time I thought it was the battery, called the AA, it started immediately for him. He checked the ECU and once again no faults recorded.

Seems to be an annoying gremlin that Fiat don't have a reason or a fix for

#3 ·
Looks like battery to me, I had a battery go flat in about 10hrs a couple of weeks back in my 2015 City X and that's what I got before the voltage dropped too low to run anything.

Stat/Stop being unavailable is a giveaway, I had the RAC out to mine (as I couldn't move it with no power, the electronic handbrake locks on) and he said that losing stop/start was generally the first sign of battery life coming to an end.

You could put the battery on a slow trickle charge overnight to see if that brings it back to life, however between stop/start and battery management (which regulates the alternator feed) it might not give it much longer.

Hewesy

#7 ·
500x intermittent Starting

I have a 2016, 500x manual which experienced intermittent starting. The problem got so bad that I was unable to start the car 30 times out of 31 tries. The car was returned to Fiat three times (last time on a tow truck), 1st time no problem found - car returned, 2nd time Fiat replaced the starter motor (warranty), 3rd after submitting complete details of diagnostics I had carried out myself over three frustrating weeks, Fiat changed the starter motor solenoid relay (my main suggestion). Since then the problem has, to date, been resolved.

Thought this may be of interest to some members.

#11 ·
I know it was a few years ago that this was posted but I had something similar just after Christmas 2020. I have a 500x 1.4 multi air turbo and I had just got a service done and, the week after, timing belt and water pump too. After a few days, the car stuttered and spluttered on starting. All fault lights and warnings on. Took it to fiat (in the UK) and they couldn't find anything wrong, no codes had been saved either. Couple of days after, the car engine stopped as I was driving around a roundabout, not a very nice feeling. Got towed to the fiat dealer again and they couldn't find a fault but it wouldn't start. They had some codes though. And when they tested the car, the same thing happened to them. They asked fiat in italy and the answer came back for faulty crankshaft sensor. They had to order the part from italy (not in stock in the UK) then they found a fault with the wiring to the sensor so they changed that too. Got my car back after about 2 weeks today, let's hope that this has cured it. Car drives well now, fingers crossed.
I hope this helps someone else with similar problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.