Hill starts - Fiat 500x Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Hill starts

Hi, I love my new 500x cross plus petrol but I'm having a problem with hill starts.
I live by a particularly steep hill and I'm finding when I get to the top I activate the auto handbrake then expect to be able to drive off but instead the car keeps on stalling and rolling back. This has also happened when on a hill and I have needed to reverse.
I used to drive a 3rd gen mini and that used to zoom up hills after stopping and have a lot more power in 1st and 2nd gear. Don't know if this might be related but I'm finding a lot of smoke from the exhaust too.
It's a 65 plate with 1400 miles on it 1.4 multijet.
I really hope someone has some advice as it's making me quite nervous around hills and really ruining my experience of the car.
Thanks
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 04:00 PM

If it's a 65 plate you should still be covered by warranty. If I were you I'd get it back to the dealers.
The hill start assist should hold you on hills (not handbrake), although on my own car I don't find it works as well as on my previous Alfa.
Your comment about oil is the main one which would have me contacting the dealer. Have you checked the level?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:58 PM

The smoke from your exhaust could just be water vapour more often experienced on cold days?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 07:31 AM

Is it a 4WD or 2WD Cross Plus, if 4WD what mode have you got the car in? Is it manual or auto?

The Hill Hold only holds for 2s, once the brakes are released. So you'd hold on the footbrake, then release to set the throttle and pull away within 2s otherwise the brakes will release and you will roll backwards. It might be worth checking Hill Hold is enabled within UCONNECT, I can't recall if this can be disabled or not.

It does take a little getting used to, but pretty good once you get the knack.

What colour is the smoke coming out the back? You might get some white smoke as you accelerate but anything else could be a concern.

Hewesy

Hewesy

2015 500X Pop Star, 1.4
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the replies.
Have been trying out the hill starts with the hold system (but not on the Dreaded hill!) I think because I had the handbreak on such an incline it just suddenly released.
Unfortunately the smoke seems to be getting worse. It's still clear but more of it and all the time. Also a lot of water vapour pouring out the back which is black in colour, the inside of the exhaust has also turned black. I'm also noticing a thud like noise from the back every time I set off from standing - yes have checked nothing in the boot!
Really worried now.
It's a 2Wd 1.4 multijet.
Has anyone else experienced this?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Hi, thanks for the replies.
Have been trying out the hill starts with the hold system (but not on the Dreaded hill!) I think because I had the handbreak on such an incline it just suddenly released.
Unfortunately the smoke seems to be getting worse. It's still clear but more of it and all the time. Also a lot of water vapour pouring out the back which is black in colour, the inside of the exhaust has also turned black. I'm also noticing a thud like noise from the back every time I set off from standing - yes have checked nothing in the boot!
Really worried now.
It's a 2Wd 1.4 multijet.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Do you mean Multiair as it's a petrol? Take it to a Dealer if you are worried, exhausts do discolour as the engine burns fuel and emits combustion by-products. Mine runs richer during the winter. Is the thud your parking brake releasing? If I garage the car after washing it and leave it a few days, the pads stick on and that makes a clunk as they release, could it be that?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 AM

The brakes do have a habit of coming off quickly when using Hill Hold, or certainly mine did. You always knew they'd released

Compared to other systems it is a bit clunky, so might just need a bit more practice.

With regards to the other issues I'd have that back to the supplying dealer ASAP. It should not be smoking like that - I had a 2wd 1.4 Multiair petrol for 2 years and it didn't smoke once. Very occasionally on very cold days you could see a little until it warmed up, typically <5mins use.

The clunk could be the brakes releasing but this should only be if car has been left parked on for a while or if the pads were wet and they adhered to the rotor (as LovelyRed500X noted). It's a pain you cannot set the handbrake not to come on really.

Again worth the dealer checking in case the pads have become contaminated.

Hewesy

Hewesy

2015 500X Pop Star, 1.4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page