Fiat 500x Forums banner

Firmness of ride

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ijwoo1 
#1 ·
Hi I am hoping to (properly) qualify as a 500x owner; I really like the city trim popstar. Can't fault the look, 1.4 multijet engine, the height and equipment.

But I (and the rest of the family) are really struggling with the firmness of the ride. We're coming from a 2004 VW Golf TDI which I didn't think was particularly soft but I'm shocked by how much our test 500x bounces around. In fact it's the third one we've tested; I keep hoping to be proved wrong.

I was told the crossover (rather than the city) which we tested before had firmer seats and ride and that's possibly true but this one (city popstar 1.4) is still very firm indeed; I'd go as far as to say we all feel a bit sick even after a relatively short ride.

Am I missing something? Could tyre pressure adjustments help? Any other advice? At the moment it seems like I'm going to have to think of other alternatives and I'm genuinely gutted.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hi, I've had my 1.6 city lounge since June but we have not had any problem with the ride.
Have you been to Fiat dealers to try new ones out or used cars?
Have you tried the different driving modes?
Sorry that this does not really help you but I love Fiats and hope you can find a solution.
As an aside, where abouts are you?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. These are all the dealer demo cars and with the smaller alloys (I think).
Yes tried the different driving modes - should Auto be the softest? They didn't seem to make much difference.

We are in Herts.

The lounge has the bigger alloys (if I remember right) - not sure if that makes things better or worse but interesting that you find it ok.

Seems a really nice car, I'm sure Fiat will do well with it, seemed more fun than another Golf...! We've still got the demo for tomorrow morning so who knows?

#4 ·
I've got a 1.6 lounge and I also find the ride too firm for my tastes. My car has the larger wheels.

Apparently, the target group for the 500x is the younger generation of kids, who might prefer a sportier car. At least thats what I've been told, which is why the car has a sporty character.

I wish the suspension was softer and the car had the "City" button.

Just my opinion.

#5 ·
I have the 17" wheels and find the ride is fine. My tyre pressures were wrong when I picked up the car and I changed them within a few days. Could that be your issue? Everyone who has ridden in mine thought the ride was comfortable, along with the seats. I haven't tried the larger wheels though.

#8 ·
I was a bit worried before getting mine about the firmness of the ride.

Most reviews mentioned the firmness and strongly recommended against the 18" alloys. I even thought the car I test drove was too firm but as my wife didn't mention it I chose to ignore it.

The good news is that Pop Star I've taken delivery off on standard 17" wheels has a pretty faultless ride so I'm rather relieved.

If anything my 500X rides better over the poorly surfaced road to my house than the 500 before it.

I'm probably not helping other than perhaps suggesting there has been a recent suspension tweak?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.