Fiat 500X Allegedly Found With Emissions Defeat Device - Fiat 500x Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Fiat 500X Allegedly Found With Emissions Defeat Device

Germany’s transport ministry announced it has found a defeat device in a Fiat vehicle during a test. This manipulation has started a public dispute between the ministry and the Italian manufacturer.

No exact details are available at this early stage, but the German government has said it will send the results to the European Commission. Meanwhile, Fiat has denied accusations, saying it has never used defeat devices.

Apparently, the problematic model is the 500X, as German weekly magazine Der Spiegel reported it has an exhaust treatment system that switches off after 90 minutes. The publication is citing results from a test conducted by Germany's KBA vehicle authority.

Automotive News recalls that similar device was found in previous tests of Fiat, but it was switching off after only 22 minutes of operation. The European emissions test cycle lasts 20 minutes.

Read more: https://www.motor1.com/news/141094/f...defeat-device/
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 06:42 AM

This could be bad for us couldn't it. I assume we've going to be in for recalls, drop in performance no doubt and poor resale values.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 08:06 AM

A few of us appeared to have a recall on this already, certainly I had a very shady "we're doing an upgrade to the ECU" when it was in for some warranty work.

Was this petrol or diesel, presumably the latter noting VWgate was TDI engines.

Hewesy

Hewesy

2015 500X Pop Star, 1.4

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Did anyone see VW diesel gate on BBC Watchdog this week?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewesy View Post
A few of us appeared to have a recall on this already, certainly I had a very shady "we're doing an upgrade to the ECU" when it was in for some warranty work.

Was this petrol or diesel, presumably the latter noting VWgate was TDI engines.

Hewesy
So have you had this done? Any noticeable drop or otherwise in performance or how it runs?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 05:53 AM

Yes it was done at the service last year, I didn't have a choice IIRC as I was advised it needed a "system update" to be done at that service. I then was told when I picked it up included "some throttle settings and other engine tweaks" and took about 3hrs to run...

To be honest I haven't noticed any difference, the car was only a year old with about 8k on the clock when it was done, it's now just over 2yrs with 18k and is loosening up nicely IMO. Currently returning 42mpg on the latest tank and about 48mpg average overall (using Trip A and B respectively).

Mine's the 1.4 petrol though, how the diesel cars have been changed (which is what the main VAG scam was about) I couldn't say.

Hewesy

Hewesy

2015 500X Pop Star, 1.4
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 PM

Not my experience, I dropped about 5 mpg on my usual routes after the 'system update' at the first service. I struggle to get 40 mpg now, usually around 37-38.

That said on a long run up the M4.5 and 6 a few months ago I averaged 48 mpg but that was on Motorways , sometimes at 50 mph due to speed restrictions.......
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 11:42 AM

That's a shame, I've checked mine on two tanks the last week and it's averaging 45mpg on a mix of urban and 70mph dual/mways.

Ahh 50mph limits, M1 around Derby or Northants by any chance?!

Hewesy

Hewesy

2015 500X Pop Star, 1.4
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 11:43 AM

Oh one other point, I have discovered the cruise control is very inefficient, so much so I now only use it in a 50mph zone (e.g. the M1 as above) to avoid risking a fine.

Might be something to try if you use cruise a lot?

Hewesy

Hewesy

2015 500X Pop Star, 1.4
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewesy View Post
Oh one other point, I have discovered the cruise control is very inefficient, so much so I now only use it in a 50mph zone (e.g. the M1 as above) to avoid risking a fine.

Might be something to try if you use cruise a lot?

Hewesy
It was a rare Motorway trip from South Somerset to North Yorkshire and back, most of my usual journeys are driving like Miss Daisy...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page