Fiat 500x Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new as of 10 minutes ago! Thanks for viewing - here is my question:

I read that the car takes regular gas - does anyone here only use premium gas and if so what are you reasons?

Thank you!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi and welcome!

I suspect most of the forum is UK based, or if not based in Europe. In the UK/Europe we tend to use RON as fuel octane rating, but I think the USA uses AKI? The Fiat handbook should specify the minimums for fuel octane ratings but I gather AKI varies across the USA depending on elevation, humidity of the state etc so I'd recommend checking the handbook and working to those requirements.

Should be marked inside the filler cap too, or it is on UK cars (e.g. unleaded, min 99/99 RON etc).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry clicked post too soon! In the UK we have premium fuels too, usually 2-3 RON higher than standard. Occasionally they also add in various additives like fuel system cleaners too.

The usual feedback from other car forums I've used is that they don't really make much difference, certainly I run my own cars on whatever standard fuel is available and have yet to experience an issue.

Fuel in Europe (and I'm sure the USA too) is subject to very strict control so shouldn't be to much of a variation out there - but your personal experience may vary of course!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Could well be, what's the usual AKI rating you put in? I think it is slightly higher in some parts of the USA due to humidity and elevation about sea level. We don't really get the same extremes over here!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts