Fiat 500x Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a very quick question for you all.
Do any of you use brushes to wash your car, or do you stick to doing it with a sponge? If you use a brush and have had success with it, which one do you recommend? I am just worried about buying a brush and it leaves swirls or such like on my paintwork (obviously i would not buy a hard bristled brush for a start Confused).
Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi tvrgriff,I personally would not use a brush of any kind, and as for the automatic car washes with those massive brushes spinning round, they will give you massive swirls, especially if some idiot with a muddy 4X4 has just gone through, and any one that tells you different must be on medication.
I have found the best answer is the two bucket job, whilst your wheels are dry, spray each wheel with a good quality alloy wheel cleaner, do not leave on for more than a minute (see directions for use)use your hose to wash off any dirt or dust particles from the wheels and at the same time all of the car, don't forget to put your hose pipe up under each wheel arch, (watch the muck fall out) then with some car shampoo only (household washing liquid has salt in it) and a micro fibre mitt or cloth wash only the top half of your vehicle, down to the door handles.
With the second bucket wash the remainder of your vehicle, leaving the wheels till last, giving them a final wash with the remainder of water left in your bucket, do not wash you car if the sun is shining on it, with a good quality chamois dry all of the car including the insides of the doors and the door shuts and the inside lip of the boot, also lift the bonnet and remove any excess water that might drip on your engine.
Now for the good bit, you will need a good quality tyre shine and a clean dry cloth/rag, spray the tyre shine on any parts of the engine that are covered in black plastic than wipe off, this will give you that brand new showroom look on your engine, in fact you can use it any where in the engine bay to clean it up and make it look like new again.
Don't forget to clean the glass, drop each window by about 4/5 inches to clean the window, this gets rid of the unsightly line which appearseach time you wash the car, tyre shine the tyres, job done.
Hope this helps, I always think the car seems to run better when its clean, but maybe I'm mad, I don't care 'cos I have a nice clean car.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use a lambswool mitt, I also use Meguires car shampoo. Really good, gets it really clean and leaves it with a wax like finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts