Fiat 500x Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, had an interesting one yesterday.

Just back from 2 weeks hols in the 500X, worked flawlessly and used every day. Drove home Saturday from France, again no issues, everything working as expected (including stop/start).

Got in at midnight, came out Sunday am about 10am and the car was totally dead. No central locking, interior lights, nothing. Put a multimeter on the battery and it showed 6v(!).

Ended up calling the RAC out as thanks to the electronic parking brake I couldn't shift the car to get out. RAC tested the whole system, no drains, alternator working fine but the battery by this time was at 4v. So, dead battery in a little over 2 years.

My next job is to try and get it swapped under warranty but just curious if anyone else has had battery issues? According to the RAC chap the two biggest battery killers are stop/start and the battery monitoring system to shut the alternator on and off to avoid overcharging - both of which the Fiat has.

Hewesy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So to update, it goes in tomorrow for the dealer to troubleshoot and hopefully replace under warranty (they have advised the battery is covered by a 3yr warranty).

Hewesy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, had the call from the dealer, the battery passed all their tests with flying colours! They did however offer to charge overnight as "it needed a good charge". Not quite sure why 6+ hours of driving on Saturday didn't do that but hey.

So, pickup later and see how it goes.

Hewesy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far so good, though I must confess I haven't switched Stop/Start back on yet as I don't quite have the confidence it will restart!

The dealer tech trickle charged it and retested the next day, again passed as a 100% good battery. Really odd, I suspect the battery monitoring system had a moment but no way to prove that.

Hewesy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts