Fiat 500x Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To properly evaluate this car it's best to put aside all opinions of the regular 500. the 500X is quite a nice design, nowhere near as bloated and disfigured as the 500L. It's clearly aimed at the style-conscious rather than practicality-conscious buyer with such as swoopy rear end but that's probably an accurate assessment of the people who buy small crossovers now, Im pleased they have included more powerful engines, AWD and the 9-speed transmission from Jeep, although I would be surprised if many buyers stray too far from a front wheel drive manual.
When prices are announced it will be interesting to see how far below the Renegade they peg it, if it's priced to compete with the juke and Captur, and offered with a decent 4 wheel drive system Jeep may as well not bother launching the Renegade in Europe, at least not at the crazy prices that have been suggested so far (up to £27000 for a vehicle based on a 9 year old Punto) reviews so far have criticised the Renegade for poor on-road dynamics and interior quality, I expect the 500X will be more road-focused in its dynamics, less compromised by the imaginary need to go off-road, which it never will.
I do think FIAT is making a mistake putting all their eggs into a 500-range basket. As others have commented this vehicle and the 500L are really more suited to the Panda genes, meanwhile what the FIAT range really needs is a regular 5 door hatch replacement for the Punto, a car which would more comfortably fit into the 500 sub-brand and rival the MINI 5 door.
Crossovers, especially small ones may well be the biggest growth segment right now but trends change and can easily reverse, whereas the regular B segment hatch market remains Europes biggest market and has been so, consistently and constantly, for over a decade with continued steady growth, yet FIAT has almost abandoned it to concentrate on risky niche models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read somewhere that Fiat do plan a 5 door 500 to replace the Punto in the near future.
As for the B segment I agree which is probably why Nissan have just re entered this market with the Pulsar in Europe having abandoned it back in 2007

as for the 500x I am looking at this as the replacement for my Juke so keen to see prices and specs and of course to get my hands on one to try.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I've also read about the Punto replacement. It used to be a great little car then lots of others started making them but theirs we're much better and Fiats just fell away.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
deks said:
I read somewhere that Fiat do plan a 5 door 500 to replace the Punto in the near future.
As for the B segment I agree which is probably why Nissan have just re entered this market with the Pulsar in Europe having abandoned it back in 2007

as for the 500x I am looking at this as the replacement for my Juke so keen to see prices and specs and of course to get my hands on one to try.
What do you think of the pictures and information released so far then Deks? Do you think it looks like a suitable replacement for your Juke?
Are you not planning on getting the new one that's come out? Although to my eyes they both look the same

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fiat still make the Punto in a few markets around the world. This is the new one that's just out now;

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not the biggest Fiat fan in the world I must admit.
I think Fiat should scrap the 500L and have the 500 mini car and the 500x - both of which look great and do (should) sell well.
I think Fiat should scrap the Panda. Looks cr*p and brings the rest of the ranges image down with it as does the Doblo and the Quobo.
They should then come up with a decent cool looking Punto replacement and they'll have themselves a nice little range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BrianD said:
What do you think of the pictures and information released so far then Deks? Do you think it looks like a suitable replacement for your Juke?
Are you not planning on getting the new one that's come out? Although to my eyes they both look the same
The new juke is merely a facelift. No I wont be buying a replacement Juke, Had 2 now time to move on to pastures new. Always liked the cheeky 500 but wife says its too small the x looks to fit the requirements we have and Arbath version even more so.. We shall see what the future holds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.