Fiat 500x Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I've just become the owner of a 2015 plate Fiat 500x Cross Plus. I'd like to say it's a most enjoyable experience but it's become slightly tainted by two warnings... Start/Stop Unavailable - Check Engine and a Tyre Pressure warning though no particular tyre - seemingly the entire TPMS. So I've had to book it into my local Fiat dealer and it will be a week before they can look - under warranty... all within four days of owning the car.

I'm hoping they don't just clear the codes.

Other than that I really enjoy driving it. I might have to get a space saver tyre though. Has anyone noticed how much this adds to the boot space over a full size spare?

Cheers,

Alec

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome!

That's not great, make sure you get it fully documented with the dealer as to what they do for you/the car just in case.

if it is a 2015 also check the front brakes, there was a number of cars with incorrect parts. IT IS NOT a concern, just a darn annoying screech :) Fiat did do a recall.

Air Con was another, the pipe was rerouted away from the bulkhead to stop it tapping. Oh and exhaust, some cars the exhaust tapped on the rear subframe but I don't think that's an issue with the X+

I've a space saver in my boot, the boot is setup for it so the false floor is a tad higher. I wouldn't go for just the can of repair (though I carry both) personally but that's just me! I guess you'd lose many 4" depending on how low your boot floor is, actually do you have any underfloor storage in there? Something tells me it is the same just no spare wheel?

Hewesy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hewesy

Thanks for your advice regarding what I should check with the garage. It's very useful.

Regarding the boot space there seems to be two options for the boot floor height - one for a full size spare and one for a space saver. As I have a full size spare the floor is resting against the upper supports. I'm hoping to increase the available space by getting a space saver so the floor rests against the lower supports.

I've another question for anyone who'd like to answer... is there an easy way to flash the headlights e.g. to let a vehicle turn in front of me? I can usually find it quite easily but not on the Fiat.

Kind regards... Alec.

·
Registered
147 Posts
No problem!

I'll need to check on mine, I was sure they only offered a space saver or can of repair, not full sized wheel. You'd be best checking with the service guys when you drop the car in as to whether the space saver would work with your vehicle, you can then order one from parts on site?

Certainly, mine is a space saver but I have the "smaller" 17" wheels.

Flashing the lights, basically pull the left lever towards you. Push away for main beam.

Hewesy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again guys

Thanks for your interest and questions.

So the car was looked at by Fiat on 4th July - I suppose I was trying to gain independence from the garages. I was told the tyre fitted wasn't quite the right size to satisfy the tpms that it was the same as the rest of the car. They reset the warning code and it's been ok since. This is strange as I would have thought it would have faulted regularly if it was incompatible. Makes me wonder a) are tyres really that critical when they're the right diameter for the rim and the same profile and b) was it more a case that the tpms calibrated when the garage had it to accommodate the new tyre - did it need to 'discover' it in a way that I couldn't tell it/

The garage also said the software needed an update, which they did, and that the battery that the original garage had fitted was low on charge, resulting in the stop/start engine error. They also charged it for me which is a bit strange since the display showed the same voltage immediately before and after going into Fiat. Hey ho it's working so I'm not complaining.

The space saver gives an extra 3 inches of boot height which is not insignificant when multiplied by the surface area of the boot. The geek in me wants to work out how many extra litres that is. I dd read one review that thought this was a fairly essential move to give the boot a bit more space and knowing how much I used to cram into my old focus going on holiday (this has less than two thirds the space) I think it's going to be necessary.

Nothing small about those 17 inch wheels Hewesey. I dare say they give a better ride.

One thing I'm still scratching my head over is using uConnect voice commands with the telephone. I've paired the phone and used the car screen to make calls but voice commands seem to be for the radio only, even though I'm on the phone screen. Has anyone used voice commands to call someone, am I missing something?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Probably a good point Alec, I've no complaints about the ride manners - but I'll have to have a go in a version with 18" wheels to see if there is much difference.

When I was buying my X I raised the small boot issue to the salesman. His suggestion? Bin the space saver, lower the boot floor and rely on the tyre weld/fast fix stuff if you get a puncture. I pointed out that was fine until you get a rip or tear that the tyre weld wouldn't cover. His solution? Carry some superglue to glue it back together first...

Needless to say I still carry the space saver and ordered the roof rails for a roof box :)

I have the exact same issue with my phone voice commands, doesn't work with either of my Android phones (work and personal) or my wife's work iPhone, though it will read my text messages fine. Voice commands work fine on radio with with the media (USB drive in my case). I must dig the manual out to see if it should work or not.

re: Start/Stop, I've noted in mine that if I sit with it engaged for a long period of time it will start the engine back up automatically, which I presume is the ECU Noting that the battery level has dropped. I suspect Start/Stop takes a fair chunk out of the battery (allowing for restarts too) but I'd be surprised if a new car battery is struggling - unless the car only does pretty short journeys?

Hewesy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Right, I've dug out the manual, for the phone you don't use the voice command button but rather the green phone icon. When the phone book is illuminated (i.e. not greyed out) press the green handset, wait for the beep then say "Call XX XX". if you have more than one number saved for that person you have to add that, so "Call XX XX Mobile, Call XX XX Home" etc.

Nice consistent approach there Fiat...

Hewesy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Probably a good point Alec, I've no complaints about the ride manners - but I'll have to have a go in a version with 18" wheels to see if there is much difference.

When I was buying my X I raised the small boot issue to the salesman. His suggestion? Bin the space saver, lower the boot floor and rely on the tyre weld/fast fix stuff if you get a puncture. I pointed out that was fine until you get a rip or tear that the tyre weld wouldn't cover. His solution? Carry some superglue to glue it back together first...

Needless to say I still carry the space saver and ordered the roof rails for a roof box :)

I have the exact same issue with my phone voice commands, doesn't work with either of my Android phones (work and personal) or my wife's work iPhone, though it will read my text messages fine. Voice commands work fine on radio with with the media (USB drive in my case). I must dig the manual out to see if it should work or not.

re: Start/Stop, I've noted in mine that if I sit with it engaged for a long period of time it will start the engine back up automatically, which I presume is the ECU Noting that the battery level has dropped. I suspect Start/Stop takes a fair chunk out of the battery (allowing for restarts too) but I'd be surprised if a new car battery is struggling - unless the car only does pretty short journeys?

Hewesy
My new to me 500X's battery would not enable the s/s until i'd done a few miles as it had been sat in a sales yard for some time. I notice If I don't use the car for a few days in the winter the s/s may or may not work too. At the moment in our summer... it seems to be fine!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure I've tried the green button as well Hewesy, but there's no beep for a voice command and it doesn't seem to be waiting for anything. I assumed it was just for answering an incoming call. Maybe I need the green button followed by the usual voice button. I haven't tried that yet...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Odd, I must admit I was going to demo it last night and completely forgot when I got home. I'll nip out at lunch and retry.

Does your phone book work via the touch screen? So you can hit phone then tap to access your phone book to select someone and call from there?

What phone are you using, if you don't mind sharing that info?

Kind regards,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A Galaxy S6 Edge. The phone book icon is available and I can select it on the phone menu. It brings up a list of my contacts. Pressing the green button doesn't do anything. The usual speak button knows what I mean if I say 'phone book' but doesn't open the phone book, just returns me to the phone screen. Other commands such as 'call Hewesy' or 'dial hewesy' aren't recognised . OK, maybe I don't have a mate called Hewesy but you get my drift. Likewise I can't ask it to dial a particular number.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well that explains all those missed calls :)

I'm running and S6 Edge too, I tried yesterday and exactly the same. Looking at the UCONNECT Phone checker website the S6 Edge "should" be supporting all Bluetooth features.

I have a Samsung J5e work phone so will try that, I will try my wife's iPhone too if I get chance.

I'm sure I had it working on my old work Windows phone (the one useful thing it actually did) but that might be a memory lapse...

Hewesy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts