Fiat 500x Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a tow bar fitted for my Thule cycle rack (and possible caravan at some point too, maybe!) and am currently deciding between fixed and detachable systems.

I have fixed on my other car, which has been handy on a few occasions (at least 3 cars have driven into the tow bar in car parks when not paying attention!).

I'm concerned thugh that a fixed might trigger the parking sensors, which would be a pain. Any one have a tow bar, fixed or otherwise, that can comment if it triggers the sensors when fitted please?

Hewesy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Hewesy

I just recently bought a 500Xplus and had a fixed towbar fitted. You have to make sure that the proper wiring loom for the vehicle is used and this then diactivates the parking sensors when it is plugged in. I have a Thule cycle rack and it works perfectly :)

Woodoo

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Woodoo, do you mean the parking sensors deactivate when the trailer/caravan/light board is plugged in? With nothing attached, do the parking sensors work as normal?

Cheers!

Hewesy

·
Registered
56 Posts
:mad:
Thanks Woodoo, do you mean the parking sensors deactivate when the trailer/caravan/light board is plugged in? With nothing attached, do the parking sensors work as normal?

Cheers!

Hewesy
My tow bar is what I believe is called a Swan's Neck and comes in two versions, fixed or removable. I have the fixed and it's too low down to activate the parking sensors with nothing attached, they work fine 0:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, that's great news! Now I need to chase down a good deal... Are you all using the OEM parts or Witter/Brink or other aftermarket?

I've considered roof mounted for the bike but there's no way I could safely put it up there without either damaging the car, the bike or me. It's a long way up!

I've got a kayak that goes on the roof and that needs a step ladder to secure once in place!

Hewesy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh if anyone has a moment to post a pic of the fixed swan neck too that would be amazing... Trying to convince the missus.

Hewesy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts