Fiat 500x Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles quietly released a software update last week before Wired Magazine published its report on the Jeep Cherokee remote hack. The automaker said the update “offers customers improved vehicle electronic security and communications system enhancements” and added that it is provided at no cost to customers. Furthermore, the update includes Uconnect improvements introduced in the 2015 model year.

The two events are obviously related, as FCA was aware of the 2014 Jeep Cherokee hack. Actually, the hackers let FCA know about the vulnerability and worked with the automaker on a solution, which was released five days before news of the hacking attack broke.
Hackers Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek discovered a vulnerability in some versions of FCA's Uconnect infotainment system, which connects to the Internet via a cellular data connection through Sprint. The Uconnect system fitted with an 8.4-inch touch screen and Wi-Fi hot spot is present on 2013-14 Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram vehicles, as well as the 2015 Chrysler 200.
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is not related to our cars. The above "hack" requires the car to be fitted with a permanent mobile phone data SIM card (and data plan from a mobile phone operator). I believe that none of the 5" and 6.5" uconnect devices in the FIAT 500X have this ability, only the larger ones (8.4") fitted in the Jeep brand.

Also, the article published by Wired is, as expected, bending the truth quite a bit. It is quite hard for the average person to monitor/snif data frequencies in order to figure out the IP address of a specific car. So these guys skipped the most important question, how to find the IP address.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I believe there is a software update available for 6.5 uconnect

Most current service action update 9018 recall for faulty air bag error

And

Software current 15.21.37

I understand this loads uconnect live and Eco and gives all traffic and weather for SATNAV option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The OP above is talking about the update to fix the hack on the USA uconnect versions of 8.4".

In general, yes there are numerous uconnect updates, all cars in the production line get the latest one. If owners want they can ask their local dealer to update their car.

I think mine came with version 15.04.31, maybe I'll update it next time I pass by the dealer.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know its not for our cars but it does highlight a potential issue as manufacturers move forward with connected technologies in their cars.
I suspect the same stories will appear with 'Driverless' cars at some point too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts