Fiat 500x Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can answer. I've got the expensive 6.5" lcd screen, with all the "features" they advertise. Although in the small letters, all the smartphone integration features don't work right now, but they expect them to work "soon".

Overall, the Uconnect is horrible.

It was created by Chrysler initially and now its used across the board by FIAT brands. The guys who designed it must really live in a time capsule, somewhere back in the 90's... they probably haven't seen a smartphone, or HTML5 features of the new "web", or even know what an Android is all about. These guys must have missed all that stuff, because the Uconnect system is so outdated, it really boggles the mind.

I don't even know where to start really, but I'll try:

- Horrible and outdated design from the 90's
- Awkward buttons of various sizes: small-ish, small, medium, large... all kinds
- Messy font usage, long titles don't scroll for example
- Crazy placement of information on screen, no real use of UI design principles
- Cheap construction, the screen feels like some of those early 90's touch screens, you have to press too hard on it to "touch", can't scroll, can't zoom, can't multi-touch.
- Can't make phonecalls while on the move (I have to dangerously use my mobile phone to initiate the call)
- Bugs... bugs... did I mention bugs?

Some positive things:

- The navigation app is really good with lots of features (but not as great as my Garmin)
- Recognises album art within my MP3 files (but displays them as horrible 50x50 pixel resized images)
- Great bluetooth integration (phonebook, etc)
- Two USB ports, my wife and I, get to charge our phones at the same time (but I had to pay for the second USB port because its an optional feature)

If I had the option to remove this unit entirely and fit some after-market one, I would in an instant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's such a shame. In car tech is so important these days that I do wonder why car manufacturers seem to not put any thought into it. For me its an essential part of the enjoyment of ownership, I get frustrated with poor technology because simply there are no excuses for it to be like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Based on my experience, they only fix important bugs. Even then, they are only fixed after mass complaints to the factory. I've never really seen a manufacturer do an proper upgrade after the sale of the car.

So I wouldn't expect anything in the future.

Our only salvation is if those uconnect "hack" devices are released for the fiat 500x. Currently, they are available for USA vehicles like Dodge/RAM/Chrysler cars with the 8.5" screens.

Real shame that the 500x already looks outdated in terms of technology, because soon it will look really ancient, compared to the competition.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think a lot of cars will be like this in the future. In 10 years time when we've all got iphone 20's, nothing will work with 'older' cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts